usa flag

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Our Holiday

As you know I drove with the kids to Pennsylvania, to visit family & friends there. It was a BLAST!! It was so relaxing and yet we did lots of fun things.
We left on a Saturday and drove to Cleveland. It was about a six hour drive and defiantly the longest Evelyn has been in a car, outside of my belly, that is. At about Gary, Indiana the kids were already restless so I gave them each a book. I got Grant some cool reading books that I thought he'd like but after about 5 minutes he got quiet and pale. I looked at him and said "what's up" and he said "I don't feel good." He looked as thought he was going to unload that minute so I tried to slow my big Commander down to pull over and I yanked him from the car. That's all I needed for the next 11 hours was the smell of Grant's puke. As it turned out he never threw up and I was so prepared for other things that I had a Ziploc on hand that he used just in case I couldn't pull over fast enough. We then made it safely to Cleveland.
And for those of you who follow this blog know that my BFF and her family just moved to Cleveland so we were able to spend the night at their new home. It was great to see them again and see their new life. We stayed only until the morning and then headed off to PA which took another six hours. Now the first leg from Chicago to Cleveland we stopped 2 times but the ride was fine for me but this second leg from Cleveland to York was a harder drive but we stopped only once. I'm not sure why but my guess was that going through Western PA is difficult because of the "mountain driving." Ya know you are winding up, down, and around these mountains, you are driving highway speeds, and there's not a lot to look at. Evelyn loved driving through the tunnels though. There are 4 on the PA turnpike and every time we'd go through one she'd ask for another. "Tunnel? Tunnel? Tunnel?"Finally we were at Bubble's house and we were all happy to be out of the car-- for at least a day or two.
We had lots of fun while there so here is a quick look at our days:
Monday was a pool day where we just sat around my mom's pool and played and swam. Tuesday we went to Root's a huge farmer's market in Lancaster where they have one of my favorite things, peanut butter whoopie pies. They also have fun things to by and we always come away with bags full of fun things. Wednesday and Thursday we did more pool time. And on Friday we went to Old Navy and got some cool school clothes for Grant then we came home and go in the...yes pool! Saturday it was rainy but that gave us some down time. Sunday we had a get together with Dales family. We got to meet his grand daughters and see his brother's family. Dale's parents also came and Grant had fun keeping Dale's dad, Eddie, "in jail." Eddie had fun with Grant too. After that we ventured up to visit PoP! On Monday we swam at my Uncle Ned's pool which is right next door to my Dad's and then we took a ride to "the Lake." The Lake isn't actually there anymore because just recently they drained it and are now digging up the soil to see if it's "okay." It's sad that my kids can't see the lake that their mom, uncle and PoP used to skate on as kids but maybe it will return. Later on that Monday PoP & Grant, along with Dan & Grace, Uncle Ned & Ryland, all went to a Reading Philies game. I tried to get a photo but they were so excited that they hopped into the car before I could catch them. They had so much fun and Grant came back with a Reading Philies jersey & hat. Uncle Ned said that PoP won the prize for most money spend on their kid. While the boys were gone Evy and I joined Diane, Nicole & Bryce at Chucky Cheese! What fun but Evelyn was scared of the rides so she just went down the baby slide the whole time. The next day, Tuesday, we went on a bike ride and Grant helped PoP do some yard work at Diane's. Then we had a BBQ with Diane, Dan, Nic, Grace and Bryce. The kids drove those little Jeeps around the whole time! On Wednesday we went to "the candy store. " The candy store is part of my family's heritage. My great grandmother started making candy and then my grandmother, Coco, along with siblings ran it and now my Uncle Ned and his wife run it. Mootz candies are the best in the world!!! That night we had another BBQ and everyone showed up! It was so much fun but we had to leave to go back to Bubble's. We had to be back because Thursday we were going to Hershey Park, the sweetest place on Earth! That was a blast even thought I had no one to ride the cool roller coasters with. Grant did some "baby" ride and Evelyn wouldn't move from the stroller. I took her on the Sunoco cars that are on a track but you do the gas and steer and she was not happy. "Mommy, no want to." After lunch at an eatery that my mom designed we headed to the Boardwalk the newest water park to Hershey Park. Evelyn then was ready to get out and she loved the little zero depth sandcastle place for her. While she and Bubble played there, Grant and I hit the water slides. That was Grant's favorite thing to do. I had to pull him away when it was time to go home. Friday was our last "pool day" but it was the most fun! My friend Jill and her boys came over and then Jeanette and her children came and Uncle Zon made an appearance too. My mom's friend Deb even came up to chat. That night my mom wanted to have a bonfire and Grant had a ton of fun "playing" with the fire. On Saturday we had a busy day. We went to lunch at, one of my favorites, Isaac's with a long time family friend, Terry. It was great to see her because I love to talk to her and hear what she has to say. Then we headed to a friends house for a birthday party! My friend Beth really knows how to throw a party and so we left a hot, tired and happy bunch. That evening I had to get our Commander all packed up so we could leave in the morning. But more friends stopped by and they kept the kids entertained while I did all that. The next morning we went off to Cleveland. This time I had some advice to give Grant some motion sickness medicine and it worked perfectly. On my way I found a gas station with a price I haven't seen in a long, long time, $3.59!! I filled up and took a photo and got in the car and Grant said "Why are you taking pictures?" I laughed and told him why.
We did spend a day longer with the Horstmann's and it was fun. Rachael and I just hung around all day while the kids played. It was so nice!! On Tuesday we finally were on our way home from our trip. The kids did great once again and we were so grateful to be home. I was grateful to sleep in my own bed with my pillow :)

1 comments:

Rachael said...

I am glad that you had so much fun. Thanks for coming to visit us as well, we loved it!