Growing up we used to joke that my mom would feed us cereal for dinner. Everyone always laughed but sometimes it was true. What people didn't know was that my mom is an excellent cook! She can take anything she eats and recreate it and most of the time it's better than the original. Some of my favorite meals my mom makes are her roast & her soups. One time when I flew in from UT to visit she said "Wait until you see what I made you for dinner." I was very excited and when I found out we were having strawberry shortcake for dinner I was even more excited!! My mom has a huge garden where she and Dale grow the most yummy veggies and when harvest time comes they make the best salsa in the world!! Really it's that good. There are so many other delicious dishes my mom makes but I will move on.
My PoP is also an excellent cook. He has his very own outdoor kitchen with a charcoal grill, deep fryer, stove, a smoker, and one gigantic pot for his famous chili. We love to visit PoP and partake of all the food he has to offer. He'll say "Now what do you want for dinner?" and "We say whatever you want to make" and he'll say "Well, what do you want?" and that goes on for a while until we come to an agreement. My PoP could BBQ anything but my favorite are his fresh cut french fries. Last summer when we went to PA to visit we ate french fries so much that one night Grant said "What are we having for dinner?" and "I said chicken and french fries" and he said in an annoyed tone "Why do we have to have french fries every night?" It was too funny. PoP also makes his own sausage and smokes salmon.
So why do I have a photograph of my dinner on my blog? Well this is for my brother, who is also a good cook. He likes to photograph his meals because he's proud of them and so tonight I am proud of myself because I made, from scratch, spaghetti sauce. I found the recipe in a pasta cook book my brother gave me and it was so yummy! I just had to take a picture even if it doesn't look that good. Don't get me wrong I have been know to make some yucky stuff but luckily I have Isaac who is honest but will eat anything. I had to add Evelyn with the olives on her fingers. She was so interested when I did this but quickly ate all 5 at once.
What I want to end with is I am so grateful for the cooking genes my Mom & PoP gave me. I really love the challenge and reward of cooking and I can't wait to get better and better!
1 comments:
i love homemade sauce! and i love your cooking!!! olives on the fingers are the best Miss E!!!
Post a Comment