I got news yesterday that one of my friends, Lillie Holland, has passed away and to celebrate our short friendship I felt I should write.
When Isaac and I got married we moved into a home just off 17th south and 2nd east in Salt Lake. Our ward there was made up mainly of young couples starting out or elderly people. I was quickly called to visit teach a mother and daughter who lived 2 houses down from us. I believe it was so I could check up on them easily. Living there was Lillie, and her daughter Audrey and Audrey's dog, Midnight. It was very easy to visit them and as time went on I started to visit them once a week and so our friendship grew.
Lillie was 96 years old when I met her and full of life! She loved to talk and I loved to listen. She would share memories about her husband and family which helped me to grow closer to them. She would tell me about the street we lived on because they had lived there for so long. I loved hearing about her boys and their adventures in Salt Lake. And when I became pregnant with Grant she was so excited. She would always say "I just love children" and she truly did. Grant loved to go visit "Lee-Lee Audrey" because they always had toys to play with or some type of sugary treat for him. They would sit and watch him play and Lillie would tell me about her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She had a wonderful memory and could see and hear pretty good too. I loved taking a break with them every week and listening to them chat.
A few years passed and it was time for Isaac, Grant, and I to move to the Big Apple. It was a very hard goodbye but I promised I would fly to Utah in January for Lillie's 100th birthday. When January came it was a crazy time in our life because we had just accepted an offer in Chicago but I was determined to make to her party and I did. The photo above is of us at the party. After that Lillie's health quickly got worse and Audrey then passed away making it very impossible for Lillie get going. She had buried a husband and 2 children and she was ready to go home. She lived with her youngest son for a while after that and when we visited Utah this summer we were able to go see her. She got to meet Evelyn and I guess I got to say goodbye. I got a call that she went into surgery and had a stroke and never regained consciousness. I'm glad it was peaceful.
Lillie lived a wonderful life! She was a great example of a woman, strong but soft, bright but humble. I love her and I'm grateful to have had her in this life and so until we meet again...goodbye Lillie.
3 comments:
Sad to hear about Lillie, we were glad to have known her and been aquainted with her sweet spirit. Your notes are a fitting tribute to her and the friendship between the both of you.
Sincerely,
Grandma and Bumpa Lund
OK, this made me cry. Isn't it wonderful to know that we will meet again!
What a lovely letter for Lillie. I am so impressed by your commitment to be there for her 100th birthday amidst your goings on in NYC. You really know how to be a good friend.
oxox
Natasha Brien
Post a Comment