Here are some photos from the process of Grant's first pinewood derby. Isaac and I are so proud of him for the hard work! First the block of wood had to be cut and I did the honors. What can I say I was excited to flash back to my wood shop days in high school which Isaac mentioned he never had. Then Grant sanded the cheese shape piece of wood and the next day we headed to a cool local craft store to get paint and weights. When that was done he painted a couple coats of primer so that his red was beautiful. For Grant the hardest part was waiting for the paint to dry but, I'm sure you could have guessed that. Then it was time for the paint. We got spray paint thinking it would be the best and it was but neither Isaac or I thought to tell Grant how you apply spray paint so it sounded like this "psss.....psss.....psss.....psss" the whole way around. Once we showed him he did just fine. It's funny the knowledge we as adults take for granite. After his red coats of paint Grant chose a University of Utah sticker and number 4 for his car. They put a shiny gloss over the whole thing a then Isaac put the weights and the wheels on. It looked GREAT! The day of the race Grant was a little nervous but he was very focused and ready. The heats were 3 cars and Grant had 3 heats. His first heat he came in last. His second and third heats he came in first! That took him to the next level but he only got second in all those so his racing was over. He did get a certificate for "Best Paint Job" and he was very proud of his car. It was such a fun day and I look forward to next year. Don't forget to make note of Evelyn and her friend in the last photo. The minute we arrived She found Evy and they ran around until the races started. Then they sat there giggling and talking the whole time it was so dang cute!
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Pinewood Derby 2011
Posted by Krazy Khania at 8:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
hooray for the pinewood derby!!! I was sad to miss it. I am so glad Grant had fun!
Post a Comment